Saturday 13 October 2012

Flourishing Relationships - Stop being a "sleeping duck".

I came across this Duck one day when I was visiting the Adelaide Botanic Gardens. 

It was standing on one leg with it's head under its wing snoozing. As I approached it looked up at me and quacked at me for disturbing it and then went back to sleep.


The Sleeping Duck
What has this to do with relationships you ask?

There are times in any relationship when we are at odds with each other over something.  The best thing to do is to discuss the issue and try to come to some agreement as to how to resolve it. Then follow through with what has been agreed.

However some of us just hide our heads under our wings, not wanting to address the issue. 

What makes us do this? I think that basically it is fear. 
Fear of facing up to something that makes us feel uncomfortable, fear of loosing something or someone.
Fear of having to change a circumstance or ourselves.

The problem with being a "sleeping duck" is that issues never go away by themselves and if they are not  addressed they fester like a dirty wound. I believe that this is one of the reasons relationships end. And that is a shame because all it takes is a little courage to face the problem and some co-operation with your partner to resolve the issue. 

Oh and by the way, the Duck really did  have one leg and it continued to snooze for the whole time I was there!

Hilary Thompson
The Out and About Therapist 
Facilitator at Flourishing Relationships Retreats



No comments:

Post a Comment