How healthy is the relationship that you have with yourself?
|Drying My Feathers|
- Do you always put other people's needs before your own and neglect your own needs?
- Do you have trouble saying "No" to requests and then feel resentful at having to do something that you do not want to do?
- Do you take care of your body by feeding yourself with healthy food and having regular meals, or do you just grab something to eat to stop the hunger pangs?
- Do you do the things that you love to do?
- Do you speak to yourself kindly or are you into self criticism, self impatience and self blame?
- Do you congratulate yourself on your achievements?
You may think that like the Cormorant on the light pole, how you treat yourself is personal and has no effect on anyone else, but you would be wrong. However you think and behave towards yourself has a profound effect on the people that you are closest to. No man or woman is an island.
I believe that having a healthy relationship with yourself is about taking care of your needs, your body's health, being mindful of you self talk. It is about ignoring the critic in your mind, it is about congratulating yourself on a job well done. It is about forgiving yourself for your mistakes and learning from them. It is about taking time out to do the things that you love to do. It is about saying "NO" sometimes without feeling guilty.
Treat yourself as you would like others to treat you.Stop being your own worst enemy and focus on being your own best friend. You will be glad that you did.