|The thin end of the wedge|
Each of us will see an issue with a different perspective and a different belief system based upon our experience of life. However, that does not mean that a disagreement has to "drive a wedge" between partners.
If this is happening to your relationship, consider this:
- Is it just you that feels like there is a wedge between you or is it both of you?
- Are you on the defensive about this issue?
- Is the issue bringing up painful experiences that you need to recognize and heal?
- Can you put yourself into the other person's "shoes" and see their side?
- Is this all about having to be right all the time so that you feel better about yourself?
Remember, you can not change other people, you can only change yourself. When you change yourself for the better, grow yourself and heal your pain, you can deal with issues when they arise much more effectively.
If the issue is a big one and you have not been able to resolve it yourselves, please get some help from someone you can trust before your relationship is irreparably damaged.
The Out and About Therapist
Facilitator at Flourishing Relationships Retreats