Saturday 17 March 2012

Is your relationship with yourself healthy?

The relationship that we have with ourselves is the most important of all. How we look after ourselves has a huge impact on the relationships that we have with our partner, our family, our friends and our work mates.
"All By Myself "
Belair National Park/
Hilary Thompson
If we do not care for ourselves and do not love ourselves then we can never truly love others.

Signs of someone not loving themselves can be: physical illness,  being a martyr or victim, holding onto old angers and resentments or manipulating other people for their own gains. Talking about themselves in a negative manner e.g. using phrases like "I'm just  a dummy!" "I'm no good at anything." Refusing help and love from other people. The list of unloving things that we do to ourselves is endless!What do you do that is unloving towards yourself?

In fact when we are unloving towards ourselves we  can easily push people away from us and destroy relationships which then can end up as a self fulfilling prophesy, which of course is that we are not lovable.

What to do? Everyone has a choice here. We can choose to continue on an unloving path or we can can choose to change. And change can be as easy as using an affirmation many times every day to change our thought patterns.
Affirmations like: 


  • "I love and approve of myself." 
  • "I am a happy, loving person."
  • "I love me and approve of my body, I am beautiful."
  • "I have a life I love to live."
I know what it is like to not love and approve of myself. I have been down that road and it was not a happy one. 
I have made the choice to change and it has been well worth the effort. My health has improved, my relationships now blossom. Life is good. I have done it , so you can too.
You may need some help though. 

Hilary Thompson The Out and About Therapist
Facilitator at Flourishing Relationships Retreat 
Adelaide South Australia

No comments:

Post a Comment